Agricultural Development Corporation is a Government Parastatal, which was established in 1965 through an Act of Parliament Cap 346, to facilitate the land transfer programme from European settlers to locals following the country’s independence. It was also to be a stabilizing factor to assist in maintaining the good quality livestock and continuity of the breeding programs in the affected farms.
With the successful completion of the land transfer programme, revision of objectives of the Corporation was done resulting in the Act of Parliament Cap 444 of 1986.As per this Act, the functions of the Corporation were redefined to include promotion and execution of agricultural schemes and reconstruction in Kenya by initiating, assisting or expansion of agricultural undertaking and enterprises. It is on the basis of this Act that the Corporation runs its operations across the country.
The mandate and core functions of Agricultural Development Corporation are set out under the Act of Parliament, Cap 444 as follows:
- Promote the production of Kenya’s essential agricultural inputs as the Corporation may decide from time to time, such as seeds and pedigree livestock including hybrid seed maize, other cereal seeds, potato seed, pasture seed, vegetable seed, pedigree cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, poultry and bees.
- Undertake such activities as the Corporation may decide from time to time so as to develop agricultural production in specific fields of production.
- Participate in activities of agricultural production which are commercially available. Participate in agricultural production which are related to primary and secondary functions of the Corporation and which in the view of the Corporation are commercially viable.
To be a global leader in Sustainable Agricultural Resource Development.
To promote commercially oriented agricultural resource development, enhance food and nutrition security and expand agricultural undertakings in a sustainable manner.
- To strengthen the institutional capacity to effectively manage operations.
- To optimize production and productivity in all sectors.
- To commercialize new enterprises and diversify into new areas.
- To enhance operational efficiency across the corporation.
Our Role in the Agricultural Sector
As a provider of quality seed to the Kenyan farmer, ADC is the main seed maize grower in Kenya with the help of the large land area it has in Trans-Nzoia District. The basic seed obtained from the Kenya Seed Company and other organizations is multiplied and passed back to Kenya Seed Company for processing. ADC endeavors to make sure that the seed produced is of highest quality possible. In facilitating the multiplication of seed, ADC plays the role of availing sufficient quantities and good quality seed to the Kenyan farmer.
In so doing, it contributes towards poverty reduction efforts and to the National Food Security.
ADC is the custodian of the national livestock studs. ADC ensures the continued existence of the breeds and the availability of quality stock to the Kenyan farmer at affordable prices.
- ADC plays a major role in the transfer of technology from the research institutions to the Kenyan farmer.
- Through linkages with Agricultural institutions ,ADC has contributed to be a testing ground for technologies and research .The findings of which are passed on to the farmer. ADC also facilitates the training of farmers through field days and agricultural shows; and the training of student through attachment that provide hands – on experience.
- ADC being a major producer of agricultural produce, Plays a major role in its support to industries processing agricultural goods. Top in the list are seed maize processors, milk processors and millers. Through them, ADC has contributed to support of the industrial sector of the Kenya economy.
The corporation will strive to build an organizational culture driven by the following Core Values that will be exhibited in all areas of work by our Staff, Management and the Board of Directors:
- Integrity and Professionalism
The Directors and other Employees undertake to always act morally and ethically as well as consistently demonstrate a high degree of probity in dealing with stakeholders. In addition, ADC adheres to impeccable professional and personal standards in the conduct of its affairs. It shall offer its services in a professional manner and with it offers high quality products and service.
ADC believes that the challenges facing the Corporation can be solved through generation of creative and innovative ideas. The Directors and Employees will endeavor to be creative and innovative in seeking ways to better discharge their mandate.
- Partnership with other key stakeholders
At ADC we recognize the importance of partnering with others in the provision of quality products and services. We will, therefore, aspire to venture into more collaboration geared towards improving agricultural undertakings in the country.
- Delivery of quality service
The success of the Corporation largely depends on effectiveness and efficiency in delivery of quality products and services. To achieve this, the Corporation will ensure that every department and every employee shares the same vision by delivering quality services in an efficient and effective manner.
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
The Corporation embraces responsibility for the impact of their activities on the society; hence it will proactively promote the public interest by encouraging community growth and development.
- Team work
In discharging the Corporation’s mandate, the directors and employees will embrace teamwork and will be committed to maintaining high standards of service delivery.
What to get from us:
- Quality Boran Beefs Breeds.
- Quality Dairy Cows ( in – calf heifers)
- Quality Semen from both local and Embryo Transfer (EF) bulls from world’s best sires.
- AI Training for AI Technicians.
- Borehole Drillings Services.
- Machinery Hire Services.
- Quality animal feeds.
- Farms Advisory and Management Services.