- Always store feeds on pallets in dry well ventilated feed store.
- Ensure proper rodent control in the feed stores to avoid contamination of the feeds.
- Avoid mixing compounded feeds from different manufacturers as this leads to dilution of the nutrients.
- Avoid adding more proteins (eg omena) or mineral salts (eg DCP) to compounded feeds as this distorts the nutrient balance in the feeds leading to poor performance.
- Addition of extra proteins to the compounded feed can lead to tainting of the final product eg a fishy taint in eggs / chicken meat due to excessive fish meal.